In June, the Board members discussed ways to bring in more funding to the BBSV Treasury. More funds means more things as a society are able to do, such as field trips to the Chantilly Gem show or have outside teachers to come and teach.
We would also love to have our members teach classes to other members and potentially open classes to the public as well. The open classes would involve a fee with a portion going to the BSSV.
We will always need volunteers to attend local shows and help get us out there to the public as a Society.
Unfortunately, the room rates at The Performance and Creative Arts Center have gone up to $45 per hour. This will have us looking for a new venue to host us on our monthly Sundays. Possibly having us split time between the Peninsula and the Southside until we can find another permanent location.
The Bead Challenge is coming up and as we have done in the recent past, it will cost a small fee to participate. The money goes to BSSV, as well as the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners.
Please speak up if you have an idea that will aid the Society in any way. We can do our best to see it through.
Ladies, don’t forget that on Friday mornings there is a beading group at the Brittingham-Midtown Community Center in Newport News from 10am-12pm. It’s free. Perhaps you can make new beading buddies and get them to come to one of our meetings.
If you already have beading buddies please invite them to one of our meetings!
If you have an idea for beading or any other project that you would like to do or try, please bring it with you!
Find yourself having questions or issues with certain techniques an can’t find a satisfactory answer, bring it to our meeting and someone would be more than willing to help figure it out with you!
Monthly bead jar was won by Rosie Lovelace.
Please bring in something you have done for our Show and Tell.
Classes and Supplies
- Czechmates 2-holed tile beads
- Bugle beads 6mm
- Size 11 seed beads
- 1.5mm leather, about 30”
- Button with a shank that the leather fits through
- Thread—preferred is Silamide, but C-Lon, S-Lon, etc. will also work
- Clipboard, macramé board, or stiff cardboard with clips
- Needle—such as a big eye needle
Note: Denise will bring all these items for those who ask for kits/supplies with exception to the glasses. Five color choices will be available: Matte Brown/Turquoise, Red/Black/Gold, Purple/Gold, Pink/Crystal, or Blue/Gold. Leather choices will be available. Please contact Denise at email@example.com with your color choice in the kits so she can bring the right one. Kits will be under $20.
Summer Lantern Earrings
Swarovski Crystal Sea Snail Earrings
Bead, Gem and Craft Shows
InterGem Jewelry Show
- July 7, 2017 Philadelphia, PA
- August 25-27, 2017 Chantilly, VA
- September 15, 2017 Philadelphia, PA
- November 10, 2017 Washington, DC
- December 15, 2017 Chantilly, VA
Treasures of the Earth, Inc.
- Sept 15 – Sept 17, 2017 Richmond International Raceway
- Oct 6 – Oct 8, 2017 Virginia Beach Convention Center
- August 16-20, 2017 Oaks, Pennsylvania
- August 5-6, 2017 Richmond International Raceway
Northern Virginia Mineral Club Annual show
- Nov. 18-19, 2017 Fairfax, VA Contact Tom Taaffe, (703)-281-3767; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Web site: http://www.novamineralclub.org
- The Bead Store VA 10371 Warwick Blvd Newport News, VA (757) 591-0593 http://www.beadstore-va.com
- Beads and Rocks 335 VA Beach Blvd Virginia Beach, VA (757) 428-9824 http://www.beadsandrocks.com
- Virginia Beach Beads 10% Discount with BSSV card 2262 Seashore Shoppes Virginia Beach, VA (757) 333-7235 virginiabeachbeads.com
- The Bead Goes On 549 Progress Lane #101 Virginia Beach, VA 23454 thebeadgoeson.com 866-861-2323
- On the Rocks (10% Discount @ Shows) Donna Stephens, President P.O. Box 1197 Flowery Branch, GA 30542 (678) 971-9019 email@example.com Www.ontherocks.biz
- Panache Bead Company 804-426-7866 panachegemsandbeads.com
- The Beadtender 476- C Wythe Creek Rd, Poquoson, 23662 757-868-1221 firstname.lastname@example.org Mon – Sat 10 – 7
- The Bead Goes On at Beadniks 325 Laskin Rd, Virginia Beach, VA 23451